EarthX Lithium Motorcycle and Powersports Batteries
- Brand: EarthX
- Product Code: ETX
- Availability: 3
- Stock Quantity: 3
Would you buy or sell a motorcycle without brakes? Then don’t buy a lithium battery without a battery management system (BMS)! EarthX has cutting edge technology that makes it one of the most advanced lithium battery on the market today; custom designed cells to deliver the highest cranking amps possible; and comes complete with a built-in BMS for performance, safety and longevity! This is not an upgrade or optional feature but a REQUIREMENT for a lithium battery to operate correctly which is why they have so many Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) using the EarthX brand! They also have a very unique design with the terminals down the center so if you turn the battery 180 degrees, you will have the positive or negative terminals on the correct side of the battery box. As with all batteries, the positive to positive and negative to negative cable is required.
A Yuasa Part Number Cross Reference Chart is in the Images Below, But we do what we can to make it Simple.
For the Panigale (1299/1199/959/899), Select ETX12A
For all the other Ducati's, Select ETX18B
For MV Agusta Models, Select ETX18F
For all other use the Cross reference chart in the Images Below
ETX6A, ETX12B, ETX18C, ETX24D and ETX36E have been discontinued. For fitments for the ETX6A select the ETX12A, for the ETX12B select the ETX18B, for the ETX18C select the ETX18F, for the ETX24D, select the ETX24C and for the ETX36E see ETX680
Earth X batteries are designed to be a replacement of a standard 12 volt lead-acid battery, but their nominal voltage is 13.3V so it will spin your engine faster than you would ever believe possible! Their batteries will work with any vehicle charging system that regulates the voltage between 13.5V and 14.6V, which is standard in all modern vehicles from motorcycles to aircraft. And their batteries are an exceptional value given the fact they last years longer than a lead-acid battery if maintained properly.
There is a lot of talk about lithium batteries these days, but not all lithium batteries are equal. There are dozens of different types of chemistry used in lithium batteries. The EarthX batteries use cells made of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry that was developed in the U.S.A. This chemistry is the highest performance, most robust and the safest on the market today.
Lithium batteries are fundamentally different than lead-acid batteries. The lithium cells inside the battery need electronics to monitor and balance the voltage/charge of the individual cells. Other companies sell a balancing charger, which you have to plugin periodically to “top off” and balance the cells. Inside every one of our batteries is a microprocessor Battery Management System (BMS) that monitors the charge level of each cell and balances the charge when needed, protecting the cells from overcharge or over-discharge. What this means for you is more starting power, longer battery life, and the safest lithium motorsport battery on the market. All types of lithium batteries (not just ours) require a “BMS” that monitors and balances the cell charge and protect from over discharge or over charge.
The key advantages of an EarthX lithium battery over lead acid batteries are;
- Light-weight — 70-80% less weight
- Long Service Life — Up to 4000 charge / discharge cycles (~3-8 years), over 4 times the life of a lead-acid battery
- Longer Storage Life – due to extremely low self-discharge rate, no need for charging in the off-season
- Environmentally Friendly — non-toxic, non-contaminating, lead free and no hazardous materials
- Wide Operating Temperature Range (-30 C–+60C) — lithium batteries are dry cell technology and will not freeze
- Fast Charge — can be fully charged in less than a half hour
- Maintenance Free
- No Special Mounting Direction
- Safety and Reliability — internal cells are continually monitored by an integrated battery management system
The key advantages of Earth X lithium batteries over competitors (Shorai, Ballistic, Speedcell, Etc) lithium batteries;
- Safety, performance and longevity are very important in the design of the EarthX battery and is the leader in the lithium market with the only battery management system included inside every battery to protect from over discharge, over charge, cell balancing, and excessive cranking protection.
- All our products are engineered in the USA
- Earth X uses American battery technology, the most advanced lithium battery technology in the world
- Earth X batteries are assembled, engineered and designed in the USA using US and foreign components.
- No expensive balancing charger needed.
- Flexible battery connection — our batteries can be used in either left or right side polarity applications. You also have the option to connect the battery leads directly to your vehicle.
- Integrity – our battery specifications are accurate. We won’t tell you our battery has 500CCA when it does not. We test all our batteries to industry standards (SAE, UL, CE).
Other Facts About Lithium Batteries
Lithium batteries voltage remains relatively constant while discharging, while voltage for a lead-acid battery decreases. A lithium battery can use 100% of its storage capability (measured as Amp-Hour, Ah), while a lead-acid battery typically only uses 30%. Lithium battery’s cranking power will not drop-off, and it will crank your engine longer. But when the lithium battery runs out of power it does so abruptly. Just like your lithium powered hand tools. LiFePO4 cells by the nature of their chemistry are 3.3 volt. 12V lithium batteries, like our motorsport batteries, are created by using 4 cells in series (technically it is a 13.2 volt battery). The lithium cells (in series) in a 12V battery pack diverge in both levels of charge and capacity with each charge/discharge cycle. This condition reduces the performance of the battery (reduces capacity) and can lead to overcharging or over discharging a cell. A cell is permanently damaged if over charged or over discharged just one time. In the case of overcharging, cells can rupture, and the entire battery will need to be replaced. Inside every one of our batteries is a microprocessor Battery Management System (BMS) that monitors the charge level of each cell and balances the charge when needed, protecting the cells from overcharge or over discharge.
Our batteries can sit on the shelf for up to a year without the need to charge it and still start your vehicle due to the low self discharge rate. (If you have our battery in a vehicle that has a constant draw, such as a Harley, and you don’t ride for a month, you will need to put the battery on a charger).
In the event you have to charge the battery, use a “modern” lead-acid battery charger or Lithium (LiFePO4) battery charger. By “modern” we mean a charger that was built in the last 10 years that automatically turns off when the battery is fully charged (based on volts). DO NOT USE a charger that has a de-sulfate mode; an automatic de-sulfate mode; or any charger with voltage pulses above 15V! This will damage the battery. If in doubt, consult the manual that comes with your charger.
For chargers with a maintenance mode, the maintenance mode voltage should be 13.3V – 13.9V. For example, the Battery Tender JR has a maintenance mode voltage of 13.3V which is compatible, whereas the original Battery Tender has a maintenance mode voltage of 13.2V which is too low for a lithium battery.
EarthX Lithium batteries have an internal Battery Management System (BMS) to disconnect the battery from the load (your vehicle) if the battery is drained too low. When the battery is “disconnected”, there is no voltage at the battery terminal. Note, some volt-meters may read a small voltage. The EarthX over-discharge protection circuit is automatically reset when a charging current/voltage is present at the battery terminals (referred to as BMS Reset).